Modifying a domain name is one of the main services provided by SaudiNIC. It allows an authorized person to request changes to some of the domain name information, such as registrant address, name and address of technical and/or administrative contacts, and name servers.
The following is a brief explanation of how to modify domain name information:
Accessing the SaudiNIC’s E-portal of SaudiNIC Services
All SaudiNIC services are provided electronically through SaudiNIC’s e-portal site (www.nic.sa or سجل.السعودية). It requires logging into the e-portal using your username and password. If you do not have an account then you can create a new account by submitting a request using the service: creating an account.
1- Filling up the modification form
The first step in the domain modification procedure is to fill the service form where you provide the new information, such as:
- The address of the registrant.
- The information of the technical and administrative contacts.
- The name servers (devices specialized for hosting the domain name. They are usually provided by your ISP or IT department).
- Selecting whether to disable or enable additional verification.
- The account holder must make sure that the form is filled correctly and all errors are corrected prior to submission.
2- Uploading the documents (Special cases)
This step will only take place if “Additional Verification Service” is enabled for the domain name under modification. The account holder is requested to upload documents used to support the request and to provide a proof for the accuracy of the submitted information. Submitting those documents is done by uploading them directly by the account holder using a special form and they must be uploaded in the accepted electronic format (i.e., png, jpg, gif, Tiff, or PDF) .
The request letter must be authenticated by the chamber of commerce (in the case of local companies ) or a Saudi embassy ( in the case of international companies) .
3- Preparing the domain name hosting (Special cases)
This step will only be required if there are other domain names that are using name servers whose names are derived from your domain name (under modification), then you need to make sure that those domain names will not be adversely affected by this modification.
4- Review and confirm the request
The entire request information are displayed to the account holder in order to review them and confirm their accuracy and correctness. He/she can delete the request at this stage if needed.
By clicking on (submit) a link to the request information form will be sent to the Administrative Contact’s email address. He/she will be asked to approve the request.
5- Administrative Contact approval
The Administrative Contact must approve or reject the request. The Account Holder must coordinate with the Administrative Contact regarding this step and ensure that the Administrative Contact has all the needed information to be able to take his/her decision .
Note: If “Additional Verification Service” is disabled for the domain name under modification then the modification request will be implemented automatically and simultaneously.
6- Processing the request by SaudiNIC (Special cases)
Note: This step will only take place if “Additional Verification Service” is enabled for the domain name under modification.
After successfully completing all the previous steps, the request is officially considered to be received by SaudiNIC. After that the processing procedure will start. The results of processing the request will be one of the following:
Accepted. Then, the domain information will be modified accordingly and concerned parties will be notified.
Rejected. Concerned parties will be notified of the reasons. The account holder can apply again after resolving the problems.
- Do not use these steps in the case of changing the current Administrative Contact because he/she is unreachable, or in the case of modifying the registrant name or information . Instead, use the Updating registrant identity and administrative contact steps.
- Do not use these step in the case of completely changing the registrant (i.e., transferring domain name to another entity). Instead, use the Domain name transfer steps.
- In the case of request cancelation, all the concerned parties are notified.
- If the Administrative Contact did not receive the activation message, the account holder can request resending it again.
- The request is only considered to be received by SaudiNIC after the Administrative Contact approves it, otherwise it will not be considered to be received and will remain pending.
- Pending requests will expire automatically after one week.
- All correspondences regarding the request are communicated to the account holder and the Administrative Contact.
- Registrants, Administrative Contacts, and Account Holders requesting this service implicitly confirm their understanding and acceptance of the terms and conditions detailed in the Domain names Registration Regulations published in SaudiNIC's website.
- This service can only be started from the users accounts, the account holder must first sign up for an account in SaudiNIC website, that can be done by following the Steps for creating an account. After doing so and successfully activating the account, account holders can start the steps of this service.